Why Hydrostatic (Underwater) Body Fat Testing?
As body fat testing, rather than simple scale weight, has become "the standard" in this new millennium, Hydrostatic Testing (Underwater Weighing) has become universally regarded by industry experts as the "Gold Standard" in body fat testing. Renowned author and fitness expert Covert Bailey, in the phenomenal best seller "Fit or Fat", states: "That hydrostatic testing (underwater immersion) is the most accurate method for body fat determination."
FitnessWave's hydrostatic method uses a two component model which separates the body in two distinct pieces:
- Bone, muscle, and connective tissue collectively known as lean mass sinks (More Dense than Water).
- Body Fat-floats (Less Dense than Water).
- By obtaining your land weight and water weight (based on buoyancy) our specialized computer program can scientifically calculate your body fat as a percentage of your total weight. The ordinary land scale cannot tell you if weight loss is muscle or fat, while getting dunked with FitnessWave can tell you to the ounce of what took place with you body during your weight loss regiment.
- Clinically speaking, the hydrostatic testing method has been around for over 50 years and is based on Archimedes principle which states "that when a body is submerged in water, there is a buoyant counter force equal to the weight of the water which is displaced". Again, because bone and muscle are denser than water, a person with a larger percentage of lean body mass will weigh more in the water and ultimately have a lower body fat percentage versus someone with less lean muscle mass. A person with more body fat will be lighter in water because body fat floats and lean tissue, muscle, connective tissue, bones, etc. sink.
- Hydrostatic Body Fat Testing (Hydro-Densitometry): According to research, "Hydrostatic Body Fat Testing "is still the "Gold Standard" to which all methods of body fat testing still compare themselves. FitnessWave has been the pioneer in hydrostatic testing for nearly twenty years and we strive to provide accurate and affordable hydrostatic testing to our clients with a professional touch. FitnessWave makes hydrostatic body fat testing a fun experience for the whole family.